Thursday, July 8, 2010

Shade Gardening

I am nearly six months pregnant and this time around I am not handling the heat so well. My days are being spent mostly indoors, something I have not experienced in over thirteen years of working in horticulture! I truly never understood the ones that could not handle Hampton Roads Summers, until Now:) This brings me to Shade Gardens, something that brings me joy and gratitude beyond anything I could describe. I am amazed at the huge selections of plants, shrubs and trees that are available. I fall in love with their detail and growth patterns. When I meet a client I try to draw information that helps me create a garden or space that they fall in love with over and over again.
We are all individuals with unique ways of expressing ourselves and our gardens can reflect back to us all we are and all we are meant to be.
Shade gardening offers more joy then I could have ever imagined. Shady spaces on summer days are such a treat. I recommend adding trees or a tree to your property to not only cool your space but to add the beauty of a shade garden preferably with a sitting area. The garden edges should curve and wrap around the patio or tree, inviting you in to relax. A few of my favorite plants are: Ligularia senecio tussilanginea 'Aureo-Maculata'~ 6" glossy leaves with large yellow spots
Ferns~ there are so many that do well in our area but I am currently loving
Athyrium Felix Fermina~ Lady Fern~ soft feathery lime green fronds
Athyrium Felix Forma~ Lady in Red~ vibrant red stripes among light green fronds
Polystichum acrostichoides~ Christmas Fern~ rich evergreen fronds, Native
This is only a few plants, there are so many more....
I encourage you to walk, sit or stand on your head in your garden and find the shade garden that is waiting to emerge!

No comments:

Post a Comment